In collaboration with Marilyn Burns, Math Solutions of Sausalito, CA, is conducting a study that explores incoming middle school students' numerical reasoning strategies in the area of number and operations.
As part of the study, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Math Solutions has developed a web-based formative assessment tool. The tool will allow teachers to interview students individually and enter computation data from student work. The assessment addresses whole numbers, fractions, and decimals and is consistent with the concepts, knowledge, and skills outlined in the Common Core State Standards.
Why should teachers participate?
- Learning how students think about math
- Receiving free professional development
- Accessing the online tool for free
- Managing and printing reports
How do teachers qualify?
If you meet the following criteria, Math Solutions invites you to submit an email with your contact information to the Project Coordinator below.
- Ability to assess at least 5 sixth-grade students
- Available to participate either in two Saturday face-to-face sessions between September and October OR two online trainings between late August and mid-October
- Interview students within the September 19th—October 14th time frame
- Interact with project staff as necessary to coordinate training, access online tool, etc.