This provides five s for improving students’ mathematical problem solving in grades 4 through 8. This guide is geared toward teachers, math coaches, other educators, and curriculum developers who want to improve the mathematical problem solving of students.
What can teachers do to improve problem solving in students? The practice guide provides 5 research-backed recommendations:
- Prepare problems and use them in whole-class instruction.
- Assist students in monitoring and reflecting on the problem-solving process.
- Teach students how to use visual representations.
- Expose students to multiple problem-solving strategies.
- Help students recognize and articulate mathematical concepts and notation.